Band

3,747 Trombone Stock Photos - Free & Royalty-Free Stock ...

By Morgan Simpson

I am in junior band at North Dundas. I play the trombone. I was originally sceptical about joining band, but then I thought it would be the perfect opportunity to go out of my comfort zone and try something new.

One of my great friends, Chloe, joined junior band as well, and she also plays the trombone. We have had so many laughs together during band. The band teacher, Mr. Exner, said “There are going to be times when you will want to quit. Band isn’t easy, but once you get past that, you will be happy that you didn’t give up.” I’m glad he said that, because he was right. At first there was a big road block for Chloe and I because we thought our notes were like the positions – position one was A, position two was B, and so on. But a little bit later, we sadly found out that’s not how it works, that the positions did not go like that. So we had to learn the notes all over again, so it took a little bit longer than we thought. But I am so glad that we relearned our notes, for if we didn’t, we wouldn’t be in band now.

After a few months of practising, Mr. Exner announced that the Winchester Christmas parade was quickly approaching, and he would be asking certain junior band members to play on the float because there were not enough people in senior band. He invited my sister Taylor and I and a few other junior band members to play on the float. We happily said we would love to, and it was a great experience.  Not many people know this, but after we played on the float, Taylor and I were invited to stay and continue playing with senior band, along with some other junior members. We politely declined, as it would be too much to ask our grandma to pick us up at school four out of five days a week. Mr. Exner said that he understood and that there is always next year.

Since then, we have had a Christmas concert to show all of the parents what we’ve been working on and how far we’ve come. That was super fun! Lately, we have been working on some new songs to do for competitions!

It has only been about half of the school year so far, and we have already made a bunch of great memories. So, as this band journey continues, we can’t wait for many more laughs and to see what new things we’re going to learn next.

By January 21, 2023.  No Comments on Band  Uncategorized